Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Ten Heroines



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's Top Ten:
What are your top ten favourite heroines?

1. Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice: I've already ranted about why I love her in the top ten favourite characters post, but let me say again: she's amazing, she's smart and loving and she gets the good guy.

2. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games: I have so much love for Katniss. She doesn't even realise how amazing she is. I especially love that's she's loyal and cares so much about her family. As for boy-related stuff: she's more than a bit clueless, but I think it's actually charming.

3. Lyra Belacqua from His Dark Materials: Lyra is cool, she won't take crap from anyone. And she has a daemon. And I want one.

4. Juniper from Juniper and Wise Child: I keep ranting about these books and this character because they are so lovely. Juniper is strong and sweet at the same time and she's just a role model.

5. Alanna from the Song of the Lioness quartet: a girl dressing up a boy because she wants to become a knight, that is my kind of girl! She totally shows that women can be very powerful. Besides, in the end she shows great taste in men.

6. Gemma Doyle from the Gemma Doyle series: I love how she struggles with wanting to fit in and be friends with the other girls and what she feels is right. She has amazing magical abilities and a charming disregard for the rules society makes.

7. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter: Hermione is just cool. She the cleverest little witch of her generation and she manages to put up with both Harry and Ron. And she always has a part in saving the day.

8. Cara from the Sword of Truth series: Cara is a kickass Mord-Sith who doesn't take crap from anyone and is amazingly loyal even when she doesn't have a binding reason (if you've read the books, you know what I mean) to anymore.

9. Katie Chandler from Enchanted Inc: I love these books! Katie is such a lovable heroine, she lives in a world filled with magic, but doesn't have any powers herself, which is what makes her very valuable to the magic community. She's kind, can be insecure and she's intelligent. And this one has great taste in men as well :)

10. Emma from Emma (this one was obvious): I don't know why I love Emma so much, other than the fact that she's nice, cares a lot about her father and she's intelligent. Jane Austen gave her a lovely voice.

I'll probably go read other people's lists and be like: AAAH! Why didn't I put her on the list as well??

Anyway, what are some of your favourite characters?

9 comments:

  1. I literally ended up throwing a coin to decide which of my two favourite Austen heroines would go on my list. Elizabeth Bennett missed out this time around, but if I ever participate in a similar meme/poll again, I'll probably let her have the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about Gemma! I've only read the first book in the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely considered Elizabeth and Alanna, but I ended up choosing Elinor and Daine instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you chose Alanna too! She is just a fabulous character, is she not? I've been a Pierce fan for ages, and always come back to this series every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only know Elizabeth from your list! Alot of these are books I have on my list. I guess I have some great female characters to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely read the Immortals when you get the chance! The Alanna series was the first Pierce series I read, so they'll always be my favorites I think, but the Immortals series is also really enjoyable. I didn't really like the second in the series (it's the weakest in my opinion), but the rest are excellent - the fourth especially!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'd forgotten about Cara and the Sword of Truth books. She was pretty awesome huh? Complicated, intense, and fearless but totally (eventually) accessible and human.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must read some Tamora Pierce books, everyone mentions her characters and I don't know them and I should.
    -Anne
    http://headfullofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list!! Hermione and Lyra are on mine too :D

    ReplyDelete