Monday, July 4, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini



Title/Author: Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) by Josephine Angelini
Publisher/Date published: May 31st 2011 by HarperTeen
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is — no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood... and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together — and trying to tear them apart."

I'm so loving this new trend of Greek Mythology in YA! Gosh, this totally feeds my addiction and it's not pretty. Seriously, it's not.

Anyway, YAY for another amazing read! Also a shout-out to the publisher, HarperTeen, cause I think I've loved just about every book I've requested from them through NetGalley! It's crazy how many awesome books they've pusblished over the last 6 months alone.

I loved Helen! She's such a real girl and I loved how she had her own insecurities and that she was so loyal to her best friend Claire and that she had a great relationship with her father. She did have an absent mother, but there's actually a pretty good reason for that, so I was good with it.
Lucas was amazing as well, and he can fly! I mean, really, one of my first fictional crushes ever was Peter Pan, so a guy who's able to fly is always good in my book.

I loved that Helen was a regular hormonal teenager and her doubts about Lucas teared me up. Their connection felt so real and believable and gosh, how much do I HATE her mother!!! You will get what I mean if you've read the book. That woman is just pure EVIL. EVIL, I tell you!

**SPOILER, light up to read**
I mean, seriously, telling your daughter the boy she loves is her cousin when he's actually not! That's pretty evil to me. Horrible woman. And for getting Pandora killed. Gah, evil. Sorry, had to get that out.
**End of spoiler**

I loved the whole idea about demi-gods replaying the roles of and looking like past mythical characters. I mean, you have a lot of special powers, but you seem doomed to make certain decisions/mistakes to play your part.

I think you can already guess from what I've said above, but I absolutely loved this book and if it wasn't for the whole needing to work/study thing, I would have finished this book in one go. I'm dying to find out what will happen next! I'm loving the title, Dreamless, of the second book already! It just seems so appropriate.

My rating: 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I've heard such mixed things about this book that I'm thinking perhaps I should read it just to find out what I think! I'm glad to hear it really worked for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the wonderful review! I really like the premise for Starcrossed but I've been rather nervous that it will turn out to be another typical read for the genre... I hope I have a chance to eventually read it though!

    ReplyDelete