Monday, February 6, 2012

Ditched by Robin Mellom



Title/Author: Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom
Publisher/Date published: Hyperion, January 10th 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her.
Ian, who always passed her the baseball bat handle first.
Ian, who knew exactly when she needed red licorice.
Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom.
And then ditched her.
Now, as the sun rises over her small town, and with only the help of some opinionated ladies at the 7-Eleven, Justina must piece together — stain by stain on her thrift-store dress — exactly how she ended up dateless. A three-legged Chihuahua was involved. Along with a demolition derby-ready Cadillac. And there was that incident at the tattoo parlor. Plus the flying leap from Brian Sontag's moving car...
But to get the whole story, Justina will have to face the boy who ditched her. And discover if losing out at prom can ultimately lead to true love."

I was sort of expecting a tale a la the Hangover (you guys have seen the movie right? I mean, I didn't really like it, but I was expecting something along the same lines only cute) and it turned out somewhat differently as Justina doesn't really seem to suffer from memory loss, it's just a REALLY LONG story and she tells it stain by stain.

Of course she doesn't really know exactly WHY everything happened the way it did, but after the initial moment of not remembering after she's tossed out of a car she has her facts lined up again. I was kind of sceptical about the whole just getting up after you've been dumped outside a moving car onto the concrete, but try to ignore that, as the story is cute!

Justina is adorably clueless and has a knack for getting into embarassing situations. And getting stains on her prom dress! Sometimes I thought she was a bit too clueless, especially about Ian and I wouldn't even have really blamed him for giving up on her. I mean, really, he's a teenage boy and pretty much a saint for just accepting all of what happened. I mean, I liked Justina, but she just managed to choose the wrong next step and assume the worst. I don't think she would have survived in something like the Hunger Games for 5 minutes. And that's ok, but I would have liked for her to at least sometimes be a little bit smarter about her decisions.

Anyway, apart from this, I did really think it was a cute story. Not amazing, but still enjoyable!

My rating: 3 stars

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean, she was a bit clueless. Though I did find the book cute over all.
    And I liked Ian :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound pretty cute. I saw this on a blog hop sometimes back and was curious. I'd probably enjoy it, but I don't think I'd prioritize it :)

    ReplyDelete