Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review of Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins


Title/Author: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins
Publisher/Date published: Hyperion, January 1st 2011
How I got this book: bought it

Goodreads summary: Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world — the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

***WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST BOOK IN THE SERIES***

Guys, do you remember how much I loved Hex Hall??? Cause I totally did. So I immediately ordered the other books in the sequel and once Demonglass came in the mail I knew it had to be my next read!

And I totally loved Demonglass as well! It's been about a month since I finished Hex Hall and I immediately felt connected to Sophie again, I love it when that happens! She has such a ME sense of humor, I loved it! And I thought she was dealing with everything going on pretty well, I don't know if I would have reacted the same way to a parent who'd been absent for pretty much all my life showing up and wanting to spend summer break with me. Or with my crush being The Enemy. Sometimes I got a bit annoyed at Sophie's friends and family because they were chastising her about the whole Archer thing, but seriously, she's 17, LAY OFF! You're not supposed to make all the right choices when you're 17, that's the whole point of growing up, you get to learn what's right and wrong.
Ahum, end of that rant.

So this time Sophie and Jenna go to England to spend the summer there, it was nice to have a change of scenery, even though I did really come to love Hecate. And Cal, Cal the sexy groundskeeper/healer went with them! And while he is undeniably the 'better choice', I'm still team Archer, that boy is just *sigh*. I don't blame Sophie for having a crush on him.

Without wanting to give anything away, I have to say that Demonglass is filled with political intrigue and family bonding, exploring friendships, learning to control powers and some seriously heartbreaking parts! The ending leaves me REALLY glad that Spell Bound is already on its way here because HOLY CRAP I don't know how I would have lasted an entire YEAR between those books! Demonglass absolutely did not suffer from second book syndrome and I'm just in love with this series and Rachel Hawkins' writing!

My rating: 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. It is a good thing that you have Spell Bound on the way-I had to wait a few months between reading them and I was not happy about the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I heard a lot about this series and I was all "oh my god" when I saw Spell Bound in the library I visit! Of course I picked it up, but it's the third and I haven't read the first two. Guess what? I'm still reading it and I love it! Having read the synopsis and summaries of the first two, I have a hang of the story and I'm enjoying Spell Bound! It's great that you have all of them! I hope you like SB too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it. I think I actually liked Demonglass more than I did Hex Hall because I felt there was less time spent in the set up so the characters could just roll and do their thing.

    I'm Team Archer for Sophie, but I kinda wanted Cal for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad you enjoyed this book! I think I felt the exact same way after I read it!!
    I was so Team Archer, but I still had a SUPER soft spot for Cal!!!

    -Theresa Jones

    ReplyDelete