Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Review of The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine


Title/Author: The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine
Publisher/Date published: Balzer + Bray, December 31st 2013
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to — only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how.

Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future — until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how.

One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are — and falling in love.

I so wanted to love this book. Because the cover looks so cute and the story sounded sweet and I had comitted to being on a tour for it. The last reason is quite possibly also the only reason I actually finished it instead of DNF-ing, which I frequently considered.

I could actually identify with Wren quite a bit because she's also tired of being called 'quiet'. Do people realise how annoying that is? Because it's seen as a bad thing generally and being told that you could 'show a little more of yourself' again and again is tiring. And quiet people don't always have quiet feelings, ok? But enough about my frustrations. I was secretly cheering that Wren was running into some of the same obstacles I was when I was in high school because of this being quiet thing. So we were off to a pretty good start, I liked her family and the catering hall, holla Arthurian themed things!

But then Grayson entered the scene and everything just sorta fell apart. I really, REALLY did not like Grayson with the poor little rich kid thing he had going on and just plain old being a douche. Also, the moment he lays eyes on Wren, he's convinced that they'll share something special. WTF??? I mean, seriously, that is just a big load of crap. And coming from the guy I just didn't believe all this lovey-dovey stuff. I mean, obviously guys have feelings, but this was just ridiculous.

And Wren, who I liked before, just forgave him for every crappy thing he pulled! Something is not working for me when I'm actually rooting for the two main characters to NOT end up with each other. I probably wouldn't have forgiven Grayson and especially not with the lame excuses he gives for his behaviour. I mean, come on, he just bullshits her and she's like ok, I love you. WTF??? But maybe I'm just not a very nice, forgiving kind of person.

I was also kinda annoyed by Wren's claiming to love Grayson, but then kissing another guy and being confused by the sparks between her and that other guy. While the other was a douche as well, he was actually more interesting than Grayson and I could have gotten behind that ship. Maybe.

There was just a whole lot of insta-love and douche-baggery and too little growing of a spine for the female MC. And I found myself rolling my eyes quite a bit throughout reading The Promise of Amazing. The whole thing just wasn't working for me.

My rating: 1 star

4 comments:

  1. I really struggled to finish this book too; I think sheer stubbornness was a big reason why I didn't DNF. So many similar feelings though boredom was my prevailing emotion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely read more negative reviews than positive ones so I'm really thinking about skipping this one. Hate insta-love. Thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww, Im sorry this book sounds kind of bad, and the summary was quite promising.

    I hope your next read is better

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful escape! I loved getting to know Wren and Grayson; they're both characters with depth, flaws, and sweet hearts, and their unconventional love story is easy to get swept up in.

    Marlene
    Reverse Mortgages Bellevue

    ReplyDelete