Monday, February 17, 2014

Review of Killer Frost by Jennifer Estep


Title/Author: Killer Frost (Mythos Academy #6) by Jennifer Estep
Publisher/Date published: Kensington Books, February 25th 2014
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before – and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death... most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic – and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good... or I am.

***WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FIRST 5 BOOKS IN THE SERIES***

I actually didn't realise this would be the final book in the series until I was about halfway through it already. And I'm a bit sad that it has ended, because after six books, I've grown attached to these characters and their shenanigans and now we won't have adventures together anymore...

So I've told you guys before how much I love mythology and how this series is one of the examples in which it is done VERY well. I like Jennifer Estep's take on all of it and the different kinds of warriors are awesome. Really. And it's got an awesome magic school, though we don't really get to see a lot of the actual teaching that goes on, as they're battling Reapers pretty much all of the time. BUT I WOULD STILL ATTEND IT GIVEN THE CHANCE. So.

Gwen has grown on me and she has definitely grown as a person over the course of 6 books and I like it. I like her spunk and her humor, her courage and the way she keeps looking for solutions. I like the person she's become, it was so much fun to watch her stumble through things at first and then forming plans.
Oh, and I totally still love Logan and Nyx! Nyx is awesome. As is Vic, Gwen's sword, the bloodthirsty piece of metal. It adds a lol-factor to it that I appreciate.

So obviously, this book has the epic battle. And it is epic. It pretty much felt like this whole book was one giant battle with some pauses to breathe in between. I loved watching it play out, there were some twists that I hadn't seen coming and it was awesome! I was however a bit annoyed when during one of the battles, Gwen and her friends just seem to be defeating Reapers, because it left me thinking: these people have also had proper training right? And they're mythological warriors as well and these are just kids. It didn't make sense to me and it kinda bugged me. But other than that I really liked it.

Killer Frost is a solid ending to this series and I really enjoyed reading it. And now I'm sad because typing up this review means the series has REALLY ended and I'm just not good at saying goodbye, ok? I secretly (uhm... or maybe not so secretly, as this is a blog post after all) hope that Jennifer Estep will come up with more adventures for Gwen and her friends, or that she decides to start another YA mythology series, because I'm gonna miss this series!

My rating; 4,5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the ending was solid, I hate when beloved series end with a fizzle and not with a bang, and I know you loved this one :)

    ReplyDelete