Monday, October 14, 2013

Review of A Tale of Two Centuries by Rachel Harris


Title/Author: A Tale of Two Centuries (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century #2) by Rachel Harris
Publisher/Date published: Entangled Teen, August 6th 2013
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley and bought a shiny finished copy
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Alessandra D’Angeli is in need of an adventure. Tired of her sixteenth-century life in Italy and homesick for her time-traveling cousin, Cat, who visited her for a magical week and dazzled her with tales of the future, Alessandra is lost. Until the stars hear her plea.

One mystical spell later, Alessandra appears on Cat’s Beverly Hills doorstep five hundred years in the future. Surrounded by confusing gadgets, scary transportation, and scandalous clothing, Less is hesitant to live the life of a twenty-first century teen…until she meets the infuriating — and infuriatingly handsome — surfer Austin Michaels. Austin challenges everything she believes in... and introduces her to a world filled with possibility.

With the clock ticking, Less knows she must live every moment of her modern life while she still can. But how will she return to the drab life of her past when the future is what holds everything she’s come to love?

**WARNING: SPOILERS POSSIBLE FOR BOOK 1**

Awww, you guys, I just feel like awww-ing at this book, because it was adorable! I really enjoyed My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century and was so excited to learn it was going to be having a sequel! Because EEE! I love Cat and Allesandra!

So it's been two years since Cat left Alessandra, at least, in Alessandra's time. She's been trying to be a good daughter and it basically gets her nowhere but betrayed by the man she thought would be her future husband. So of course I was rooting for my girl to get her own adventure! Our lovely gipsy-friend intervenes again and sends her off to Cat's Beverly Hills, which is the beginning of a wonderful time!

I loved seeing Less transform from the prim and proper sixteenth century girl into a modern, confident young woman! She definitely grows as a person and learns to go after what she wants for herself and not just abide by other people's wishes! Also, I loved the relationship between Less and Cat! They're more equal now that Less is also 16, even though Cat obviously has the upper hand in know-how about the 21st century. These two are genuine friends and I miss that in YA sometimes, real female friendships are hard to find.

It was funny to see Less navigate everything that comes with being a 21st century teenage girl and finding a way to deal with BOYS. Because well, courtship in the sixteenth century is nothing like it is these days! And while the romance wasn't as swoony for me as it was in My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, I really liked it! Austin is a bit of a broken boy and Less is good for him. And he brings out the more confident and daring side of her. They both can learn things from the other and while there were some moments in which I went: WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? Mostly, I was just smiling and enjoying the flow of their relationship as it progresses from antagonistic to something more. It was just so cute!

If you're looking for an adorable, quick read, go grab this book! I totally loved curling up on the couch with it and am very much looking forward to reading the next book! I mean, I'd love to have more adventures with both Cat and Less!!

My rating: 4 stars

Made me crave: chocolate pepernoten (it's a Dutch thing, and YUM!)

1 comment:

  1. Ohh! I so need to pick up this series, it sounds like a lot of fun and I do have a fondness for Time travel books!
    Thanks for the review, Daisy !

    ReplyDelete