Saturday, November 30, 2013

Review of Touched by Corrine Jackson


Title/Author: Touched (Sense Thieves #1) by Corrine Jackson
Publisher/Date published: Kensington Teen, November 27th 2012
How I got this book: bought it
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Remy O’Malley heals people with touch — but every injury she cures becomes her own. Living in a household with an abusive stepfather, she has healed untold numbers of broken bones, burns,and bruises. And then one night her stepfather goes too far.

Being sent to live with her estranged father offers a clean start and she is eager to take it. Enter Asher Blackwell. Once a Protector of Healers, Asher sacrificed his senses to become immortal. Only by killing a Healer can a Protector recover their human senses. Falling in love is against the rules between these two enemies. Because Remy has the power to make Protectors human again, and when they find out, they’ll be coming for her — if Asher doesn’t kill her first.

You guys, I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand it was a quick read even with the limited amount of time I had, but on the other hand I was rolling my eyes a couple of times too many to consider it a good book.

Remy is a complicated character and that's fine by me. She's had a hard life and it's not really getting better any time soon. Her mom has let her down and her stepfather keeps hurting her and her mom and it really does seem like a hopeless situtaion. But adjusting to living with her father isn't all that easy either, cause they basically had no relationshiop before all this happened. And I could totally understand Remy lashing out at her dad, because sometimes that's just how it is. Even though you may know it's not entirely their fault. I liked seeing how they did grow closer and her father is acting like a real dad for her.
I thought that while Remy is so guarded because she's been hurt before, she falls in love with Asher awfully fast and it felt a little out of character to me.

Maybe the problem was that I didn't really like Asher. He obviously knows about Remy's situation and still he keeps on being an ass to her and it got on my nerves. He's so all over the place with his feelings and his behaviour and I was just confused. Also, I wasn't terribly impressed by his cavemen act about the subject of Remy saving him or healing him. I really don't want to say it, but I'm also crying insta-love here because holy batman, that went fast! It went from not liking each other to I love you in no time at all and I just didn't feel it.

I did really like Remy's halfsister, she's a really sweet and pretty brave girl and she was so welcoming to Remy even though I could have easily understood her not being so happy about a new sister coming to live with them! She's amazing and spunky and I like her.
I also really liked Remy's dad, cause he seems like a really great guy, who perhaps listened to Remy's mom a bit too much about whether or not he could see Remy. I like that he's protective and basically a good dad. Which is a good thing, cause there was some serious bad parenting on her mom's side.

I am really intrigued by the whole Protector-Healer relationship and what exactly thing that happened in this book will mean for the future, though I still don't fully understand everything. I'm really hoping this will be cleared up in the next book! I'm interested enough to continu on with the series, though I really hope that the second book will be less eyeroll-inducing.

My rating: 2,5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that sounds like it was only so so :( I'm sorry
    I hope your next read is better, and yeah. Asher doesn't sound great.

    ReplyDelete