Friday, March 10, 2017

Review of 100 Hours by Rachel Vincent


Title/Author: 100 Hours (100 Hours #1) by Rachel Vincent
Publisher/Date published: Katherine Tegen Books, March 28th 2017
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley, thanks!

Goodreads summary: A decadent spring break getaway on an exotic beach becomes a terrifying survival story when six Miami teens are kidnapped and ransomed.

Maddie is beyond done with her cousin Genesis’s entitled and shallow entourage. Genesis is so over Miami’s predictable social scene with its velvet ropes, petty power plays, and backstabbing boyfriends.

While Maddie craves family time for spring break, Genesis seeks novelty — like a last-minute getaway to an untouched beach in Colombia. And when Genesis wants something, it happens.

But paradise has its price. Dragged from their tents under the cover of dark, Genesis, Maddie, and their friends are kidnapped and held for ransom deep inside the jungle — with no diva left behind. It all feels so random to everyone except Genesis. She knows they were targeted for a reason. And that reason is her.

Now, as the hours count down, only one thing’s for certain: If the Miami hostages can’t set aside their personal problems, no one will make it out alive.
I used to devour thrillers when I was younger, but these days I gravitate more to other genres, but I've really enjoyed Rachel Vincent's writing style in the past and that combined with the summary made me pick up 100 Hours. Sadly, it didn't work so well for me.

I felt that it lacked something to make me care about what was going to happen to this group of teenagers before it started happening. We're thrown right into the story a little bit before the main events start to unroll and the rapid change in POV between Maddie and Genesis didn't make me connect to either of the characters. Especially because I didn't really like either of them. I mean, I sort of felt bad for Maddie, her father died and her brother's a recovering addict, but it was all so briefly mentioned that I felt like I was supposed to feel sorry for her, but it didn't fully register.
And then there's Genesis, who's supposed to be entitled and not a very nice person, but there's no depth to this character portrayal and she just randomly hooks up with guys who are not her boyfriend, which I can't really blame her for because her boyfriend is a douche, but he's RIGHT THERE, so that was a bit of a problem for me.

There was just a bit too much of random romance thrown in, I mean, why the heck are these people making out with each other when they're being held hostage? I mean, seriously? Why is everyone falling in love with each other in a matter of hours and willing to make sacrifices for said other person when they've known each other for all of 5 minutes and don't even know their real names??? I mean, SERIOUSLY?? Also priorities anyone? And I was just not shipping it. Because it was weird. And while I'm all for romance, it took away from the storyline in this case.

The ending left me going, WAIT WHAT? Because major dramatic events and CLIFFHANGER, but I still don't think I'll pick up the sequel, because while I think we'll finally get to some more interesting storylines, I'm not sure I want to read another full novel with these characters.

My rating: 1,5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Loved reading this book, with these characters, and yeah, this action and this plot! Plus, the cover's so pretty! Loved this book, and I can't wait for the sequel!

    Seattle Bicycle Advocate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know your blog, have a nice day. Your blog is awesome. this is my blog very happy to work with.
    thobuon
    lư hương đá đẹp
    game bắn cá online
    slot đổi thưởng
    làm bằng lái xe nhanh

    ReplyDelete