Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Review of Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire


Title/Author: Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire
Publisher/Date published: Delacorte BFYR, July 10th 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "When plain and unpopular Annie Nutter gets zapped by one of her dad's whacked-out inventions, she lands in a parallel universe where her life becomes picture-perfect. Now she's Ayla Monroe, daughter of the same mother but a different father — and she's the gorgeous, rich queen bee of her high school.
In this universe, Ayla lives in glitzy Miami instead of dreary Pittsburgh and has beaucoup bucks, courtesy of her billionaire — if usually absent — father. Her friends hit the clubs, party backstage at concerts, and take risks that are exhilirating... and illegal. Here she's got a date to lose her V-card with the hottest guy she's ever seen.
But on the inside, Ayla is still Annie.
So when she's offered the chance to leave the dream life and head home to Pittsburgh, will she take it?
The choice isn't as simple as you think."

When I first read the summary I thought this would be just my kind of book, even though I was a bit wary of it turning silly in a slapstick kind of way and that's not really my thing. But while the mechanics/physics/quantum thingamajies behind the parallel universe travelling was a bit silly, the rest of the story never was!

I could SO relate to Annie in her wondering what it would have been like if a billionaire would have been her dad! I mean, aren't we all at one point thinking the grass is greener on the other side? I love my life, but of course I've thought about what it would have been like if I'd been prettier/richer/just different. I loved seeing Annie struggle with the pink bubble popping out of existence and realizing that what she had might not have been so bad and just maturing and facing her problems head on.

I loved the whole high school drama with mean girls galore and guys being stereotypical jerks and WAY hormonal. I loved that Annie rebelled against the social order and started doing her own thing and discovers a great 'invisible' guy. I mean, there's the whole BOOM, INSTA-LOVE! going on, but I probably would have fallen for him as well if I'd been Annie. He's just one of those good guys, you know. And I kinda have a thing for good guys :)

Ayla's family life is beyond horrifying and Annie trying to navigate it and deal with all the crap Ayla's pulled before was hard. Ayla's dad is a first class *BEEP* and I wish nasty things to happen to him! Gah, that guy got on my nerves! It's not even funny!

You guys, this book was just so cute!! It was fun and put me in a happy place and was perfect for getting my mind off stressing out about my first day at the new job! There's actual character growth mixed in with the fun and without giving anything away: the ending was PERFECT!

My rating: 4,5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Great review, I would be tempted to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely sounds like a book that I must check out! It would make a great lighter read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked the book!
    :D I rather liked it too, though I found the whole physics thing a bit annoying - and I LOVE physics! I read physics books for fun - 'cause I felt the explanation on everything happened was a bit long and I didn't care about the how.

    But I liked Annie, she was such a sweet character and I really felt for her when she had to deal with Alya's family, they were mean to each other and to her.

    ReplyDelete