Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review of The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore


Title/Author: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies #2) by Pittacus Lore
Publisher/Date published: HarperCollins, August 23rd 2011
How I got this book: own a copy.

Goodreads summary: "I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me... he's one of us.
Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us — if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another.. but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio — and failed.
I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.
And I'm ready to fight."

**WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR I AM NUMBER FOUR**

So it's been a while since I read I Am Number Four, about a year I'd guess. And I really liked I Am Number Four, and was DYING to know what would happen next and then totally spaced on actually reading The Power of Six. Yeah, I suck.

The part that kinda bugged me in the first book, the romance between John and Sarah, was luckily pretty absent in this one, as we don't see much of Sarah herself. We do have John angsting over his love for Sarah and his male hormones picking up Six's femaleness, but we don't have loveydovey scenes like in I Am Number Four. Usually I'm all for the kissing, but these books don't really need that in my opinion.

There's a lot of action and it was really good! I liked that we got to know another 'number' and how it showed just how loosing your faith can change your circumstances. I loved Marina, she's such a strong girl and I loved that she took another girl under her wings when she was having enough trouble of her own as it was.

But seriously, who really stole the whole novel was Six. Six is awesome. She kicks butt, she's a no-nonsense kind of girl and she's always willing to help. She knows what everything they're doing is about and it was nice to see her being kickass as well as letting her guard down and showing her more vulnerable side. And seriously, if I'd been her, I'd have ripped John apart towards the end because he was being such a jackass and just irresponsible and GAH! But yeah, Team Six!

And I still can't help but smile any time Bernie Kosar's in a scene, it makes me wish I had a pet. Especially one as awesome as this little guy.

It's mostly John, Six and Sam on the run and getting to know Marina a little, and while that was pretty entertaining, I would have liked to learn a little more about the how and why of things and I'd expected to learn a little more about their Loric background and everything surrounding their Legacies. There was some of it and I think that was also my favourite part of the novel.
I did like that John seemed lost without Henry. I mean, Henry was such an important part of his life, so if he'd just continued on without a backward glance it would have been odd.

It took me a week to read this, and it's not that big a book. I think it was a combination of me being really busy and the book not being all that exciting, I could easily put it down and then pick it up again sometime later and not really feel bothered by this. I didn't feel fully immersed in the story. I really hope that'll change with The Rise of Nine, which I'm reading soon!

My rating: 3,5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I skipped Four because I thought Alines were just a little out there for me but you kind of make me want to read it. I like that SIx turned out to be such a good character! I'm all pro kick-ass female characters.

    I hope Nine lives up to what you expect.

    ReplyDelete