Monday, February 24, 2014

Review of Dark Star by Bethany Frenette


Title/Author: Dark Star (Dark Star #1) by Bethany Frenette
Publisher/Date published: Disney Hyperion, October 23rd 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: Audrey Whitticomb has nothing to fear. Her mother is the superhero Morning Star, the most deadly crime-fighter in the Twin Cities, so it's hard for Audrey not to feel safe. That is, until she's lured into the sweet night air by something human and not human - something with talons and teeth, and a wide, scarlet smile.

Now Audrey knows the truth: her mom doesn't fight crime at night. She fights Harrowers - livid, merciless beings who were trapped Beneath eons ago. Yet some have managed to escape. And they want Audrey dead, just because of who she is: one of the Kin.

To survive, Audrey will need to sharpen the powers she has always had. When she gets close to someone, dark corners of the person's memories become her own, and she sometimes even glimpses the future. If Audrey could only get close to Patrick Tigue, a powerful Harrower masquerading as human, she could use her Knowing to discover the Harrowers' next move. But Leon, her mother's bossy, infuriatingly attractive sidekick, has other ideas. Lately, he won't let Audrey out of his sight.

When an unthinkable betrayal puts Minneapolis in terrible danger, Audrey discovers a wild, untamed power within herself. It may be the key to saving her herself, her family, and her city. Or it may be the force that destroys everything - and everyone - she loves.

You guys, I have a confession to make: I really like superheroes. And it's pretty rare in YA that the main character (or the boyfriend) isn't the superhero in question, so I was intrigued by the summary! The cover is a bit misleading though, Audrey's mom is actually the one who wears a hoodie with a white star on her back.

I really liked Audrey. She has my kind of humour and I could relate to her being jealous of her mom's and Leon's superpowers, because as cool as her Knowing is, it's not really useful in a fight. Audrey has spunk and she's not the kind of girl that sits around moping in a corner, but instead thinks of a plan. I loved seeing her friendship with Tink and Gideon, those three were true friends and not just there to provide a background for the story (is anyone else annoyed at how friends are sometimes used as scenery instead of actual characters?) and I LOVED IT!

Also: one thing I'm forever rolling my eyes at is non-existant in Dark Star! The absent-parent-syndrome has definitely NOT hit this book and Bethany Frenette gets major brownie points for having Audrey's mom be a big part of her life and actually doing a fair bit of parenting. I mean, really, it was awesome. And Audrey's mom is awesome. Aside from not telling Audrey anything about the Kin. But other than that she's awesome and just a true mom.

And I really liked the romance potential in this book! There wasn't a lot of actual romance, but TENSION! EEEE!! I totally loved the scene where Audrey and Leon basically have a giant food fight and turn into life-sized cookie-ingredients. I love how Audrey gets frustrated by him and is maybe secretly having a crush on him, I LOVED it! And it all comes together in a scene towards the end that totally made me smile by the awkwardness of it and I believe that could have totally happened in real life.

I'm intrigued by this first book in the series and will be reading Burn Bright soon! I hope we'll learn more about the Kin and Audrey's father, cause I have so many questions!

My ratings: 4,5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment